The Wish List

June 8, 2004

Dear Somebody Up There Who Likes Me,

Another year have passed and thanks to you I’m still alive!

It has been twenty-eight years. Two years from now I’ll be in my thirties and I’m glad that somehow you made me grow old gracefully. People still think I’m twenty-three and I would often correct them by saying, “Twenty-five”. However, I cannot be twenty-five for three years hence I admit that I need to grow up.

I don’t know if I ever made any birthday wishes in the past. I guess this would be the first time I would even make one that is so... public.

I didn’t make enough money this year. I was thinking maybe I can celebrate it virtually. Right here with people who like reading my stuff, with those who over the years have become my friends and with those who feel they actually see themselves in the things I write. They are the ones who make my virtual presence "real". I'm thankful to them for putting more sense in what I write.

Let’s hope they have enough imagination to fill this entire page with a room full of balloons. Oh yes, how I love balloons even as a little child. Color it with hues of mauve and white; throw in some red and pink too. And of course don’t forget the cake in the middle of the room. Place it on a pink table with probably lechon, spaghetti, and ice cream on the side. And if you’re in the mood for it, you can also turn water into wine.

I know I’m guilty of counting my mistakes and my faults but since it’s my special day today, I think I’ll start counting my blessings.

I thank you each day...

... for giving me good friends. I may have no riches to speak of, I may not have my own car or my own house but with good friends around I can hitch a ride and crash into their place anytime I need one.

... for my virtual office. Nobody else sees it but me. Some people think I may have lost my mind going to work in my bikini or to dance around the office naked everytime there’s a deadline and I cannot come up with anything creative to write.

... for my wonderful parents... for loving and accepting me the way I am... for everlooking my age and still giving me extra allowance. Bless their soul!

... for giving me the gift of dance. Without it I wouldn’t lose twenty-five pounds and inspire both my parents to start losing weight.

And yes, I’m sick and tired of dating aimlessly. From hereon, can we please work on getting me a serious, loving, and long-term relationship?

I read somewhere that in order to get what you want, you have to know what you want. There’s this list I want to share which I made on December 30, 2002 about how I picture my ideal man. Di ko na ie-edit, natawa din ako nung nabasa ko ulit to, eh.

1. Single (walang girlfriend at lalo na walang asawa).

2. Taller than me (I’m around 5’4”).

3. Gwapo in his own special, unique way.

4. Magaling ang timing.

5. Smart.

6. Ma-kwento with a good sense of humor.

7. Malambing.

8. Marunong magluto.

9. Hindi babaero.

10. Someone who can surprise me.

11. Sana broad shoulders kasi masarap i-hug.

12. Someone who will take care of me at tipong I feel loved kapag kasama ko.

13. Pwedeng Lamaze coach.

14. Secure enough to let me keep my maiden name after we’re married.

Hmm...looks like a handful. No wonder I’m confused.

Never mind the list!

In simpler terms, help me find a good man who can make me laugh. The rest is negotiable.

Love,

L. Oviedo

P.S. I hope he finds me before I expire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yahoo! Finished my other blog!!!

Being On The Wrong Continent

Five Minutes of Fame